The following guidelines and requirements are necessary to become licensed within the state, and apply to those already licensed and wishing to renew.
Who can apply to be licensed?
For electricians working in South Australia, the following training requirements must be met prior to having their application considered:
Documentary evidence of completion of each of the following courses:
- Single Phase Electrical Installation Testing Course (Training provider: PEER TEC);
- NUE408 – Electrical Installation Testing & Verification;
- NE171 – Electrical Installation Safety Testing – Electrical Stream Module;
- TAFE SA’s 18 week course and assessment on AS/NZS 3000:2007 Wiring Rules;
- NUE 505A – Electrical Systems Safety;
- UEENEEG005A – Verify compliance and functionality of general electrical installations;
- UEENEEG005B – Verify compliance and functionality of general electrical installations; or
- UEE30811 or UEE30807 – Certificate III in Electrotechnology Electrician
Additionally, applicants must meet the following criteria as laid out by the regulating body:
- Not suspended or disqualified from practicing an occupation, trade or business under Australian law
- Not currently an insolvent under administration, as defined in the Corporations Act 2001
- During the last five years, one may not have been a director of a body corporate wound up for the benefit of creditors
- Required educational courses are met along with the successful completion of apprenticeship
- One must be a fit and proper person
- One must have financial resources sufficient to start a business, if applying for a partnership license
Once the aforementioned requirements are met, the applicant must complete the most current application form, provided by the Office of Consumer and Business Affairs.
An applicant must also pay the following fee(s):
- Individual or Partnership new license application fee – $189 (non-refundable)
- Individual or Partnership new license fee – $345
- Annual fees for renewal – $345
Also unique to South Australia, licenses are issued for the following types of general electrician work:
- Electrical Workers Registration – provided for individuals in any type of electrical work
- Electrical Contractors License – for those working as individual contractors or under a partnership or company
- Restricted electrical work license – limits individuals to specific electrical work associated with another trade
Each license is in force for a maximum of three years, and varies in terms of fees for application and renewal.
General electricians working in Adelaide can contact the Office of Consumer and Business Affairs for additional information:
Office of Consumer and Business Affairs
GPO Box 1719
Adelaide SA 5001
Telephone: (08) 8204 9696
South Australia has mutual recognition, meaning that an individual holding a license in another state or territory of Australian or New Zealand can apply for a comparable license in South Australia.
All requirements laid out by the Office of Consumer and Business Affairs must be met on an equivalent basis, however.
Within the state of South Australia, general electricians must meet the same requirements as laid out in the training section.
The electrician trade differs, however, in this region as it relates to wages.
On average, general electricians made $59,000 per annum, a four percent decrease over national average earnings.
As a licensed electrician in South Australia, individuals and companies have a specific set of responsibilities, including having a full understanding of current legislation.
Additionally, licensed electricians must be aware of up to date regulations directly related to the trade. These may include:
- Part 3 of the Electricity Safety Act 1998
- Electricity Safety (Installations) Regulations 2009
Finally, licensed electricians must ensure the work they complete is in accordance with the Australian New Zealand Wiring Rules (AS/NZS 3000).
Testing must be completed in accordance with legislation, regulation and current Wiring Rules, with verification through a relevant certificate of compliance.
Top Electrician Companies in Adelaide
There are a number of electrician companies operated within the limits of Adelaide, most offering a wide range of services to individuals and companies alike.
Based on consumer reviews, the top four companies are as follows:
1) Tyrone Electrical Contractors – Touted as one of the top five electrical contracting firms in Adelaide, Tyrone Electrical Contractors lives up to its name.
Offering a number of varied services in both the residential and commercial space, customers can expect high quality and affordable service from the company, consistently.
Tyrone’s services include:
- Electrical design and planning
- Illumination installation
- Inspection and testing services
- Low voltage reticulation
- Fibre optic installation and maintenance
- Power generation
- Wiring installation and repair
Telephone: 08 8182 3200
2) QN Electrical – With over ten years of experience, licensed electricians at QN Electrical provide extensive services to the Adelaide area.
Its customers can look to the company for the following services:
- Renovation and extension projects
- New power and lighting points
- Switchboard upgrades or relocations
- Safety switch installation and maintenance
- Smoke alarm installation
- Surge arrester upkeep
- LED conversions for down lighting
- Data and phone outlet installation
- Antenna and TV points
- Wiring of outside fixed structures
Telephone: 0433 710 299
3) Assist Electrical – Providing cost effective electrical solutions to the Adelaide area, Assist Electrical is a top choice for quality, licensed electrician work.
The company offers the following services to both its residential and commercial customers:
- LED lighting
- Additional power and light outlet installation
- Partial or full rewiring
- Inspection of home electrical equipment
- Fuse board upgrades
- Safety switch installations
- Smoke alarm installation
- Ceiling fan installation
- RCD compliance testing and inspection
- Testing and tagging
Telephone: (08) 8121 8128
4) Aspden Electrical Services – offering a comprehensive line up of electrical products and services, Aspden is a top choice in Adelaide.
As a family-owned business, the company works diligently to ensures its customers are satisfied with the high quality work performed, both residentially and commercially.
For customers in Adelaide, Aspden offers the following services:
- Electrical installation and design
- Switchboard upgrades and maintenance
- Safety electrical testing
- Power and lighting outlet installation and repair
- Emergency breakdown repair
- Domestic rewires
- Fusebox and safety switch upgrades
- Fault finding
- Electrical safety inspection for the home
Telephone: 0432 469 540