The following guidelines and requirements are necessary to become licensed within the state, and apply to those already licensed and wishing to renew.
Who can apply to be licensed?
In order to be considered for an electrician’s license within the state of Western Australia, one must provide or complete the following:
- Legal name or entity name
- Trading name as applicable
- Insurance – Regulation 36 requires that an applicant hold current insurance coverage with a reputable insurer. This policy must protect against civil liability in respect to work performed as an electrical contractor. Documentary evidence is required to be presented with the application.
- One must fully understand the duties and obligations imposed by both the Electricity Act 1945 and the Energy Coordination Act 1994. The following course modules must be completed to show understanding:
o Electrical Contractor Training Program (ECTP) General Legislative Requirements Course
o ECTP Establishing a Contracting Business Course
- One must hold a current Western Australia Electrician’s License and has satisfactorily met completion requirements of the following courses:
o ECTP Operation (Electrical) Legislative Requirements Course
o ECTP Electrical Requirements Course
Once all training requirements have been met, applicants must complete the following to secure their application:
- Submit the completed application form, signed and dated
- Provide documentary evidence of successful completion of the ECTP courses
- Provide a copy of a certificate of currency issued within 30 days of the application detailed insurance coverage
- Proof of identification
- Payment of non-refundable application fee
- Payment of registration licensing fee
Electrical licensing fees are as follows:
- Non-refundable application fee – $83
- Registration licensing fee – $448
Also unique to Western Australia, licenses are issued for the following types of general electrician work:
- Electrical contracting work – to electrical contractors both individual and partnerships/companies
- Electrical installing work – to general electricians working in a variety of sectors
- Electrical training – to apprentices and trainees. An apprentice/trainee electrician will have a license card issued for the period of the apprenticeship/traineeship.
- Restricted electrical work – to restricted electrical workers. Individuals holding this license cannot carry out the installation or alterations to fixed wiring or to repair or replace items such as power points, lighting fittings etc.
Each license is in force for a maximum of three years, and varies in terms of fees for application and renewal. General electricians working in Perth can contact Energy Safety for additional information:
PO Box 135
Cannington WA 6987
Telephone: (08) 9422 5200
Western Australia has mutual recognition, meaning that an individual holding a license in another state or territory of Australian or New Zealand can apply for a comparable license in Western Australia.
All requirements laid out by Energy Safety must be met on an equivalent basis, however.
Within the state of Western Australia, general electricians must meet the same requirements as laid out in the training section.
The electrician trade differs, however, in this region as it relates to wages.
On average, general electricians made $71,000 per annum, a 14 percent increase over national average earnings.
As a licensed electrician in Western Australia, individuals and companies have a specific set of responsibilities, including having a full understanding of current legislation.
Additionally, licensed electricians must be aware of up to date regulations directly related to the trade. These may include:
- Part 3 of the Electricity Safety Act 1998
- Electricity Safety (Installations) Regulations 2009
Finally, licensed electricians must ensure the work they complete is in accordance with the Australian New Zealand Wiring Rules (AS/NZS 3000).
Testing must be completed in accordance with legislation, regulation and current Wiring Rules, with verification through a relevant certificate of compliance.
Top Electrician Companies in Perth
There are a number of electrician companies operated within the limits of Perth, most offering a wide range of services to individuals and companies alike. Based on consumer reviews, the top four companies are as follows:
1) Jim’s Electrical – Providing residential and commercial electrical services in all Australian states, Jim’s Electrical has a heavy presence in Perth.
The company’s services cover a broad range of issues, including:
- General electrical maintenance
- Light and power repairs
- Installation of lighting and power outlets
- Security lighting and sensor installation
- Bathroom heater, fan and lighting unit installation
- Data point installation
- Safety switches and surge arresters
- Meter box relocations
- Oven and cooktop installations
- Shed and warehouse wiring (both residential and commercial)
Telephone: 131 546
2) Weyland Electrical – Providing 24/7 service and emergency repair, Weyland Electrical aims to give its customers first class service.
Taking pride in the work they complete in both the residential and commercial space, the company offers the following services:
- TV antenna and outlet installation
- In-service safety inspection and testing of electrical equipment and appliances
- Lighting installation and maintenance
- Emergency and exit lighting
- Certification of maintenance
- Inspection and testing of residual current devices (RCD)
- Fault finding and repair
- 24/7 emergency response service
Telephone: 9470 4447
3) Antenna Direct – Although it may sound like a company focused on a single service, Antenna Direct serves Perth customers for a wide range of electrical services from licensed electricians. These services include:
- Data and network cabling
- Satellite TV installation
- Security and CCTV camera installations
- Foxtel services, repairs and multi-room design and installation
Telephone: 0423 919 037
4) Response Fire and Electrical – As a top selection in electrician work within Perth, Response Fire and Electrical boasts great staff, great suppliers and great procedure.
Working within the residential, commercial and industrial realms, the company offers the following services to customers:
- Power and lighting solutions
- Electrical maintenance
- Fire alarm maintenance, repair and upgrades
- Emergency and exit lighting installation
- RCD installation and testing
- Phone system design and installation
- Networking systems
Telephone: 08 6161 5739